Mark

tony sayer typed:

Having had a look around, I have found the cause - a leaking lead -
copper wiped joint which is hidden in away in a bas-tard place. Is
there a quick easy fix for such a dipple? It is leaking fairly
slowly and I reckon it has been for nearly a year now as I must
have disturbed it when I fitted the bathroom.

Is there some kind of tape that I can wrap around the pipe? I
don't want to be redoing the joint!

Cheers
Scott

A temporary solution on the lead pipe is to take some thickish bare
copper wire and a match stick. Break the match stick to fit over
the weep on the pipe, leaving a bit more to sit slightly either side
passed the leak. Wrap the copper wire around the pipe and the match
stick, pulling it tight as you go. Once you've covered the match
stick with copper wire, bring the ends together and wind them round
each other with a pair of pliers until it pulls the wire tighter
around the pipe. Do this gently not to snap the wire to quickly.

You can also use a bit of rubber matting and an earth bonding strap
to do the same sort of thing.

Hopefully this should stop the leak for a good while, or at least
until you can get round to making the joint properly again.

What's wrong with wrapping a lot of self welding PVC tape round said
pipe?....

Traditional method of fixing leaks in lead pipe was to hit the offending bit
with a ballpane hammer.