Owain

"Tim S" wrote
| The conclusion on doing DIY work was inconclusive, though a strong
| argument was made that anyone could certify their own work (for DIY)
| as long as they "were competant" to quote the IEE regs.

That is for GAS. (Not the IEE regs bit, but the "competent" criterion.)
There is NO requirement for competence under Part P. After all, they're
allowing NIC-only-one-person-in-a-firm-needs-a-qualification-EIC to
self-certify.

(The main reason for a CORGI to sign off DIY gas heating installation is not
the Gas Safety Regulations but Part L requiring somebody to sign that you've
put thermostatic radiator valves in, and to qualify for some manufacturer's
warranties on the boiler.)

| I'm the sort of bloke who if I were going to do this, might be interested
| in doing a specific course (assuming it's one of those 2-3 day things),
| then at least I can do it right.

The IEE do 2-3 day courses. However, you would also need the apppropriate
test equipment which must be calibrated periodically.

| I beg to differ, but I think the case of who can certify what for DIY work
| is still as clear as mud AFAICS.

It's quite clear(ish). One of the following applies:

- the work is within the definition of permitted work[1], not in a kitchen
or bathroom or other specified location - DIY permitted, providing work
complies with the Readers Digest Picture Book of Sockets and Switches.
- the work is carried out by a person [whose employer is] registered with a
certification body eg NICEIC - operative self-certifies
- anything else, a building regulations application to the council is
required

Much like windows with FENSA, etc.

Owain

[1] This is not necessarily the same as that covered by the IEE's "minor
works" form of certificate