Set Square

John Rumm wrote:

Jasper wrote:

My question(s) firstly, what type of cylinder do I have and are
replacement cylinder easily found? (The property is approximately 15
years old). Is the "extra" tank a header tank as I assume and is it
only feeding the cylinder beneath? Is this really some form of
gravity fed system or is the main cylinder sealed and the hot water
supply is under pressure (the hot water supply presure is poor at
the best of times but all propertiues in the development seem to
have this issue??)

As you suspect, it sounds like you have a combined cylinder and cold
cistern. The cold cistern will be supplying the cylinder with cold
water by gravity. Assuming that this whole lot is not situated in the
loft, then that will also account for the poor hot water pressure.

Like for like replacements are still available, although that won't do
anything for the lack of pressure.

Indeed. If you *do* replace it (and that's not necessary if it's just the
ball valve which needs sorting), and you've got loft space above where you
could put a separate header tank, consider using a separate header rather
than a combined tank. Not only will this give better pressure at the hot
taps, but it will also free up some space in the airing cupboard, or
wherever.
--
Cheers,
Set Square