Bob Eager

Default Hotpoint tumble dryer smells!

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:00:11 UTC, JimGC wrote:

My Hotpoint condenser tumble dryer has started to give of a
faintly electrical "ozoney" sort of smell that gets onto the
clothes inside. I suspect that this is the motor on its last
legs. Does this sound right, and if so, is it a DIY
replacement job, a whole new motor, or a whole new tumble
drier.... ? I've cleaned all th filters as best I can, just
in case it's notthe motor, but...

I'd guess the motor brushes. Last time I changed brushes on a Hotpoint
motor (about 2 years ago), they were about a fiver by mail order and 13
quid in the local washing machine shop. Not a major job, and cheaper
than a new motor at 40-50 quid.

Look at the motor while it's running, and worn brushes will generate
significant sparks!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!