Ian Stirling

Do you think that a vacuum cleaner will take the pressure low enough.
IME, vacuum formers tend to use vacuum pumps, and go down to a few cm of
pressure. How big a table do you want? How are you heating the plastic,
which types of plastic are you planning to use, etc?

There are many sites and advice on the web from people forming with
industrial vacs. My platen is about 2 feet sqr and qtr inch deep air
space, i.e. about 2.5 litres volume. I've built a grill to heat the
plastic and it's 0.75mm HIPS. That side of the setup is fine, it's
getting the air out according to my vacuum guage readings

If it's getting the air out, what's the problem?