Tim S

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:34:58 +0000, Owain wrote:

"Tim S" wrote
| Or go on a certification course and hire the equipment and do it
| yourself.

The point about this regulation is that you *cannot* do this.

| Are there any C&G courses for this?

(Yes, but) Irrelevant. You do not have to be qualified. You just have to
be a member of NICEIC or similar scheme.

Owain

This came up before in a thread some weeks ago. I remember the consensus
was that what you say is certainly true in the case of work done for
reward.

That is, Pro's can only self certify by being NECEIC members.

The conclusion on doing DIY work was inconclusive, though a strong
argument was made that anyone could certify their own work (for DIY) as
long as they "were competant" to quote the IEE regs.

I'm the sort of bloke who if I were going to do this, might be interested
in doing a specific course (assuming it's one of those 2-3 day things),
then at least I can do it right.

I have no moral objection to installation testing per se, just in it being
suggested that I have to pay someone else to do it every 6 months when I
touch something.

I beg to differ, but I think the case of who can certify what for DIY work
is still as clear as mud AFAICS.

All that's sparked this discussion off are a few media reports of varying
quality. I think it's important to note that no new information of
consequence is available.

I've seen nothing substantial enough, recently, to change my opinion.

Timbo