fred

Purely out of interest, can someone with reasonable elec. quals and
experience
now not do domestic wiring beyond what has just been described by the
other
posters here?

I am a qualified practising Electrician with qualifications in the Wiring
Regulations and Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations. On 1st
January I will need to get a building inspector to check that I have
replaced a Socket Outlet in my kitchen correctly. The building inspector
will probably be less qualified and experienced than myself. But its ok for
me to replace someone else's Socket Outlet in their kitchen as long as I am
working for a registered Electrician.

I cant go self employed because you have to be in business 6 months before
been able to register with one of the schemes.

By "someone/reasonable", I mean me with...
Electrical apprenticeship (industrial) in the 70's (5 years + day release
CGLI
full tech cert (probably considered worthless today). Mainly 3ph. high
current
motor controllers, & industrial plant etc to elec. instrumentation and
domestic
wiring in the companies own housing. I'm still reasonably utd on the
theory but
way ood on the regulations. I also have a degree in elec. eng. (B.Sc) -
but for
most of the interviening years I've been involved in computer sodware (no
typo).

Heading for retirement I did think of maybe returning to my short circuits
days
(part time) - but looks like the government has pressed the big RED
button. Are
there any exemptions possible? I don't really want to have to spend ££££££
on
some registration scheme. Maybe I'll just sign on as unemployed instead
:-)