Tim S

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:10:51 +0000, Pete C wrote:

Hi,

What happens if you don't have a 'competent person' to do the necessary
work, or don't have it inspected? Can you expect 'a knock on the door in
the night'...?

cheers,
Pete.

Doubt it... I certainly do not plan to pay for certification everytime I
do something, which is likley to be lots of small jobs over the course of
time.

I can't afford to pay a sparky for something I am well competant to do
(unlike say, plastering, which I'm crap at, or plumbing if it means taking
the entire CH to bits as opposed to running a couple of pipes).

So, if I see something that looks iffy, do I a) leave it as I can't afford
a sparky or b) fix it??? Guess.

Someone earlier this year suggested a real beauty to tell the buyers
solicitor in the event of enquiries to relevant certification. It went
roughly thus:

"I know of no material deviations from the IEE Wiring Regulations. However
if the buyer wishes to see certification or otherwise assure themselves,
they are most welcome to arrange an inspection of their choice for which
they will pay."

In other words, business as usual.

I expect Councils are too busy to randomly start poking around with this
sort of thing. So they only other times it will come up AFAICS will be:

a) BCO down due to other works. He's unlikely to inspect beyond the job in
hand. And with the cock up in colour changes, nothing is going to be
obvious anyway.

b) Fire or electrocution and it's found out that you made a pigs ear of
electrical work. But that's always been the case... I think if the police
are about to bust you for making an installation dangerous and killing
someone, after the amount of grief you'll be getting, Part P evasion will
be the least of your worries. And if you're that useless with electrical
work, you shouldn't be doing it at all.

Not a legal opinion, just mine.

Or go on a certification course and hire the equipment and do it yourself.
Are there any C&G courses for this?

Timbo