T i m

Default Steel box section strength

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:43:25 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

In this episode of my granite fitting saga, it appears that there won't be
enough room for the 40mm wooden beam across the twin appliance gap to
support the granite. What width steel box section would have the same
bending resistance as the 40mm wood specified?

Also, can granite rest directly on the metal, or should there be a soft
material on top, such as hardboard?

Christian.

[T] I think the issue here is that granite isn't very flexible and
most other things are?

If you placed a length of your selected section on two blocks (same
spacing as your cabinets) and pressed in the middle, I think you'd
find pretty well anything will 'give'?

Is there any way you could fit a wall bolted, 'triangular' shaped,
steel brace in the middle or do you need an uncluttered space?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. My feelings about how much apparently rigid things bend has been
enhanced since I have been using my 10 tonne hydraulic press. I
gas-cut a couple of 20mm steel plates, 50cm x 25 cm to act as a bed
for items on the press. The plates were a bit warped so I thought I'd
have a go at bending them straight with the press. Raised the ends and
pressed in the middle and they bend back easily .. (well, a couple of
tonnes worth of 'easily') ;-)