Antony

Default Matching old roof tiles.

Kevin,

There's a big reclamation place behind Matalan at Bamber Bridge. I've walked
down the footpath at the side of it many times and they seem to have loads
of old building materials.

Antony

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
We have just finished building the roof on our extension and now
need to get it tiled. I was hoping to match the existing tiles as
closely as possible, ignoring nearly 40 years of weathering. I was
under the impression that the original roof was done in Marley tiles,
but when I took one of them to my builders merchant I found similar
designs but nothing was a close match. Looking at the first tile, I
couldn't make out the makers name but after careful studying of
several tiles I now believe it to be 'Dinorwic'. I now know that the
Dinorwic slate company went out of business in 1969 and I assume they
tried to compete in the tile market before going under.
The tiles I am looking for are smaller then most nowadays, being
15"x9" and have a similar profile to the 'double-roman' tile which
most modern manufacturers produce. They are greyish in colour. Can
anyone suggest whre I might source a similar tile, even if I cannot
find anything by the original manufacturer.
On the positive side, there is a valley separating the original
roof from the newly built extension roof so it is not imperative that
the new tiles match exactly as long as the combination of old and new
looks reasonable.
It is also worth noting that the house is a semi-detached so I
cannot simply replace all of the tiles without significant problems
tying in to the tiles on the neighbours side.
Finally, I live in Chorley in the north-west, between Preston and
Bolton.

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks.