James Sweet

"William R. Walsh" wrote in
message news:csard.423959$wV.227127@attbi_s54...
Hi!

I have seen some Tripp-Lite NetUPS (?) units that have an external plug

for
an external battery.

Theoretically, if you could get the connectors and do a safe job of wiring
them in and mouting them in the case, any UPS could have the ability to
accept an external battery.

I've usually been served well by UPS units that I picked up for free with
dead batteries inside. I just wire a large battery up and fashion a wooden
case or shelf for the entire unit and go from there. I've never had any
problems with doing so, but I would recommend supervising a newly

converted
UPS to be sure it will operate correctly. Most recently I got some BIG
sealed gel-cell batteries that were almost new from a big old Tripp-Lite

UPS
that blew its top in a big and smoky way. I used them for a backup

lighting
system--a small APC UPS is wired to one of the two batteries and then
plugged into two 60 watt lamps. It's enough to get out of a dark basement
when the lights go off at night.

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/ups.jpg - 62.8 KB / 1024x768

William

If you can run two 60 watt lamps you could light your whole house with
compact fluorescent bulbs, even the ones equivilant to a 100W bulb use only
about 25W.