James Sweet

"Jerry G." wrote in message
Mainly for safety reasons you should be using the proper battery. The UPS
checks the battery by analysing the current load by pulsing it, and

reading
back the decay factor.

If you start messing around by trying batteries that are not properly

rated
for it, there will be very little dependability. Also, if you put a

battery
with too high an amp hour rating, it will not get charged properly, and

the
result may be in damaging the UPS.

As for protecting your investment, it is a bit skimpy for my taste that
someone would not at least put in the proper battery in to their UPS.

It should charge just fine, it'll just take longer to fully charge.
Lead-acid batteries aren't particularly sensitive. The proper battery for a
UPS can be pricey, I have an old Trip-Lite that uses an odd size and it
would have been around $100 to replace it, so I installed a pair of somewhat
smaller surplus gel cells and it's been working flawlessly for several
years. I say go for it and experiment, just use common sense with the wiring
so you don't burn the house down.