Kim

It could happen faster than you think. Was in Wal-Mart the other day, and
noticed that they only carried 3 100% tape vcr models, 4 combo VCR/DVD
models, and 10 DVD models.
The 100%VCR models are fairly expensive as well, compared to the DVD units.
So while there may be no OFFICIAL phasing out, I think that the market is
phasing out the VCR all by itself.
During my short 1 year stint between jobs, I was a manager of the local
WalMart Electronics Department .
I noticed that 4 out of 5 units sold were DVD units, and 3 out of the 4
were the REALLY inexpensive ones...the $24.00 kind. Most people said when
buying the cheaper units that "I know that it will die in a year or so, but
it seems like the expensive ones die in about a year too, so I might as well
buy something cheap then".
A earlier poster sort of hit the nail on the head. The days of frantically
programming the VCR to make certain that you recorded your favourite show
are sort of slipping away, when you can buy a complete boxed DVD set...sans
commercials, for less than the cost of VHS tapes. I remember a friend of
mine, poised like a hawk, waiting to pause his VCR when recording his
favourite shows, just to make certain that he would not get any commercials
included in the recording.

Kim

"jakdedert" wrote in message
Simpy changed (for the time being) to: "I might as well pick up a *used*

one
for that price." They're going to be a glut of old, working ones on the
market...and at your local dumpster...for some time.

jak

"N Cook" wrote in message
Good news for VCR repairers ?

Dixons (major UK electricals retailer ) will be no longer stocking VCRs

from
6 months henceforeward. Other countries retailers doing the same ?
Have I missed something along the way and individual writable DVD discs

can
now be re-written to hundreds of times like VCR tapes ?

story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...2/ndvd22.xml&s
Sheet=/news/2004/11/22/ixnewstop.html

http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~diverse