robdingnagian1

Default Newbie Turning Question

Hello,

I am new to turning. I got a Jet Mini Lathe (JML-1014) for my birthday
along with the bed extension. I purchased a few tools from Lee Valley
and am very gung ho to start turning and learning. However, its damn
cold out in the garage (shop). All of my other tools and dust
collection system are out there.

My question is: (keep in mind I have never used a lathe) What type of
mess does a lathe make? If it is pretty much all shavings that can
easily swept up, I would be inclined to use it in my basement. However,
if there is a large quantity of airborne dust (small micron stuff) that
will infiltrate every crevice, duct, and eventually my family's lungs,
(Not to mention get tracked all about the house) then I will have to
hold off until spring.

Also, would experienced turners recommend that I learn to use the mini
without the extension and then put it on after gaining familiarity? Or,
is that pretty much irrelevant?
Thanks for feedback.

Eric (in getting cold Minnesota)