Bob Richardson

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:ybasd.425474$nl.364567@pd7tw3no...
Bob Richardson wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
om...

Yesterday my home in the Portland Oregon area had an appliance issue
that resulted in a small blaze inside the home. Because I have a new
- airtight house - the smoke literally fused itself into my
appliances, structure, electronics everything.

I want to know how you got a new airtight house. Building code here, just
north of you in Washington, requires houses to Breath...with a capital B.
Tons of openings in sofits, vent holes in the windows. You name it.
Especially with the moisture we get the Pac NW, I would think an air
tight house would be a health hazard. What's the thinking about an
airtight house?

Hi,
I am here in Calgary. Airtight house is to save energy. You bring in
outside air by automated venitilation tied to house HVAC. R2000 spec'd
house is airtight(like mine) and it has to to go through special building
process per code, then has to pass the final test to be R2000 spec. home.
If you look at the size of HVAC looking at the size of my house, you'll be
pretty surprised. It's warm/cosy in winter, cool in summer with minimimal
energy consumption.
BTW, the holes in the soffits are for attic vent, it has nothing to do
with indoor air. Vent hole in the window? Must be drain hole.
Tony

Of course, you're right about the sofits

Our house is only 7 years old. There is a "whole house fan" that brings in
outside air 2 or 3 times a day (for 15 minutes each time). It's set on a
timer.

The vents I'm talking about are in the top of our Milguard windows. They
were put in one window of each bed room. My wife thinks they're for letting
bad air out, e.g. CO. Can someone explain what their function is?