Andy Dingley

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:28:17 GMT, "Evon"
wrote:

What are some of the better woodworking schools?

Better or more famous ? There's a lot of confusion over that.

How much do you know already ? A course with Krenov isn't going to be
best appreciated if you're still working out which way the dovetail
pins go.

How long have you got ? I'd like to go to North Bennet St (I just
like Boston), but I don't think they do short courses.

What's "woodworking" ? Why assume this is furniture - maybe you've
always fancied building a boat, or a guitar. There's a lot of
variation, and many of the skills don't even overlap.

You can only talk about "woodworking" as a broad topic at either a
pretty low level, or a very high "I want to know _everything_" one.
For the first, then local, cheap and convenient is probably the major
factor in a course, not studying under the greatest teacher ever --
and many of the best craftsman aren't the best teachers, or v.v.

If you don't know the difference between a joiner and a planer, then
find a local course, evening classes or the like, where you can get
hands-on with the machinery. Learn something, learn what the options
are, learn the basics of benchwork so you can learn more quickly in
the future, learn what you're interested in, learn what other makers
are already producing or what historical techniques have been. Only
_then_ take your pot of cash and blow it on the 3-month summer
residence at the shack in Oregon.

A subscription to Fine Woodworking sounds like a good idea too. Read
the small ads in the back for a whole range of courses.

--
Smert' spamionam