Karl Vorwerk

Excellent idea.
Karl
"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Having had many, many droplight bulbs go over the years from dropping

or
even just bumping them, (the cage keeps the glass from breaking,

usually,
but the filament goes anyway) I finally discovered an improvement. NJ

is
currently offering an instant rebate on compact fluorescent "bulbs".

These
are really cheap right now, so I put one in my droplight the other day

while
looking for a new bulb. Works fine, stays very cool (which is always

an
advantage under the car with the light next to your head), and gives

100W
equivalent light. I haven't dropped it yet, but I suspect that it

will be
lot more robust. Sure a lot cheaper than the ruggedized "drop light

bulbs"
they sell for this application (which are not a lot more rugged than
ordinary bulbs, in my experience.

That's funny. I've always used "rough service" type bulbs and have had
excellent luck with them, even when dropping. The only negative I've
experienced with them is that the bulb darkens considerably as the

filament
evaporates and deposits on the inside of the bulb. Mine usually die

from
old age, and by then I'm happy to see them gone because the light I'm
getting is quite poor. Thanks for the tip on the fluorescent light,
though. I do prefer the nice, white (and cool) light they provide.

Harold

I also use rough service bulbs that are dipped in some sort of
translucent rubber like material... they don't shatter when/if they get
splashed. I've also had excellent life spans with them.

I've also drilled two holes in the reflector, and installed two short
1/4-20 bolts from the inside out, with nylock nuts on the outside that
act as 'anti roll' feet.

My droplight will lie stable on it's back or either side. A most handy
modification.

I can put up a dropbox photo if anyone's interested.

Erik

---