Forger

On 4 Dec 2004 00:31:49 GMT, Ignoramus4824
wrote:

I am a new proud owner of a used Onan DJE 1 phase 6 kw diesel 1800 rpm
generator. It is a civilian version, even though it is military
surplus. I bought it from the military and brought it home today
(along with a truckload of other stuff).

Today's pictures are at:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/home/

It is a cutie, and not big at all. Approximately 4 feet long. It does
not have a fuel tank, however, I own a plastic 25 gallon moeller tank
that I will attach to the genny provided that I can see it run. It
weight approximately 500 lbs. (WAG) It looks like the perfect doomsday
survivalist generator.

There is no hourmeter on it.

I know the following about it:

- The manual fuel pump lever pumps something

- The crankshaft spins when I spin it manually, with varying degree of
difficulty depending on the piston position, at times quite hard. It
makes sounds like "ouch", which again I interpret as good things
related to valves opening.

- When I connect a battery to two reasonably placed contacts, and turn
the START switch, a loud click is heard and then nothing.

- When I connect the battery to the starter directly, it spins, but
does not engage the gear that should spin the crankshaft. I _suppose_
that this is evidence of me incorrectly connecting the battery. Is
that right? It could also be evidence of solenoid not providing the
contact, but would be unlikely given that I do hear a loud click.

So, it seems that things are not that bad. All I need to know is
whether I am on the right track with starting. I have some manuals,
that I am going to consult now.

Thanks!

I have a little diesel generator that runs all day long just about
everyday. I assume you have a compression release if you can spin the
crank manually, so I would try opening the release and trying it. Also
see if your hot lead goes to the start switch and to solenoid. (one
pulls the solenoid in, the other, heavier, provides the hot to the
starter once its pulled in, at least on mine).