Beachcomber

For a few years I worked part time for a medical oxygen supplier. I did
tests on equipment used in people's homes, mostly for oxygen. I never found
a difference in carbon dioxide by more than a half percent or so. Relax and
enjoy your life.

Every situation is different and yes, you do not normally have to
worry about it unless...

Are you using any of the new non-vented heating appliances? Kerosene
heaters and so forth...

Like any combustion process... These heaters do consume oxygen and
produce CO2 as a by-product. The code requires that they have oxygen
depletion sensors that will automatically shut off the unit if oxygen
is not present in the atmosphere in the correct proportion (around 20
- 21%)

CO (Carbon Monoxide) is deadly because it robs your bloodstream of
oxygen and it can and has killed many people because of a mis-adjusted
furnace - or a leak in the combustion chamber, or a bar-b-que grill
cooking indoors. It is caused by an incomplete combustion process
usually with a lack of sufficient oxygen to properly burn whatever
fuel is being used.

CO2 gas (Carbon Dioxide) is not poisonous like Carbon Monoxide, but
it too can be deadly in large concentrations (if it displaces the
normal 20-21% level of oxygen in the air). Kerosene, Natural Gas,
Oil, and Propane heaters all produce lots of CO2 (when properly
adjusted) and vent this combustion gas to the outside air. As
mentioned above, there are some newer appliances that are non-vented
that may safely be used by following the manufactuers safety
regulations.

Beachcomber