Doug Miller

In article , "Swingman" wrote:
"John Moorhead" wrote in message

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of

outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get

little help here....

What you are looking at is a "split circuit" receptacle. It's been perfectly
legal in a number of locale's, but I am not sure what the latest NEC says
about it.

Two caveats that are generally required to do it:

1. You must cut or remove the metal bridge on the duplex receptacles

Not if he's using two duplex receptacles in each box, as it appears he
intends. And even if he's using one duplex receptacle per box, with each half
on a different phase, he still needs to remove the bridge *only* on the hot
side.

2. It is generally required that you must use two, two pole circuit brkr's,
with the two circuit brkr's "tied" together so that if one trips, they both
trip.

Ummm.... no. That would be *one* two-pole circuit breaker.

In any event, the terminology you want to use with your building inspection
department is "split circuit receptacle".

Not necessarily. That's one duplex receptacle, with each half on a different
leg. It sounded to me like he intended each box to have two duplex
receptacles, with each duplex on a different leg.

--
Regards,