Doug Miller

In article xA1sd.42$IB6.28@trndny06, wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:35:51 GMT, John Moorhead
wrote:
Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I wouldn't
have to run an additional separate length of wire - everything would be in
the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear...

John

I'm reasonably certain that's not allowed in the US.

And I'm absolutely certain that you're wrong.

This is specifically permitted by the NEC, provided that:
a) the two hot conductors are on opposite legs of a 240V service, and
b) both hot conductors can be disconnected by *one* disconnect.
This is easily implemented with a standard two-pole breaker.

In any case, the lone neutral lacks the capacity for both circuits.

If it is installed in compliance with the NEC (see above), the current in the
neutral is the _difference_ of the currents in the two hots, not the sum.

Also if it's in a garage, the GFCI will sense the imbalanced current and
trip.

Well, you did get that part right.

--
Regards,