Robert Bonomi

In article ,
John Moorhead wrote:
Folks -

I'm back... Now it's a wiring question. I'd like to run a string of outlets
at benchtop height, and run two circuits. I'll put a pair of outlets in
each box, 1 on each circuit. Can I safely run 12/3 for a pair of 20 amp
circuits using a common neutral (white) and ground? I'd run the red wire
(marked black) to one outlet and the black to the other. The two outlets
would share the white wire, along with the grounds.

At the panel, I'd have the red (marked black) wire going to one CB and the
black one to a separate CB. If I can do this, I'd have to string way less
NM... Would this be a violation of code? Is this safe?

I know, I know... call an electrician or an EE... I'm just trying to get a
little help here....

First question: *WHERE* are you? Code _does_ vary, by locale, on whether
things like this are allowed.

Comment: this 'two hot, one neutral' wiring is called an 'Edison circuit'.
*IS* generally allowed, _as_long_as_ you make sure that the two hot wires
go to *different* phases of the main supply.

You do -not- need to 'tag' the red wire as black, btw. anything _other_
_than_ one of the 'reserved' colors (white, green, bare) is presumed to
be a 'hot' lead.

I would *NOT* recommend running "12/3" wire. Pull _individual_ wires --
even when pulled at the same time, they go around corners *easier* than
the multi-wire cable. You'll likely find that the individual wires are
less expensive than the multi-wire cable, too.