Mike Marlow

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:35:51 GMT, John Moorhead
wrote:
Nope - I'm in Northern California... Well, I *do* want alternate
circuits... The reason for using a single run of 12/3 is that I

wouldn't
have to run an additional separate length of wire - everything would be

in
the one cable. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear...

John

I'm reasonably certain that's not allowed in the US.

Seems to me that shared neutrals are allowed under some circumstances, but I
can't recall if you have to downgrade the cirucuit when doing so. Wait for
some of the electricians to weigh in on this one.

In any case, the lone neutral lacks the capacity for both circuits.
Also if it's in a garage, the GFCI will sense the imbalanced current and
trip.

I don't see how this would happen. The potential between neutral and ground
are the same as if you had run a separate neutral.

--

-Mike-