Speedy Jim

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:36:08 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

default wrote:

Heat traps are small ball check valves. They prevent hot water
"migration" (small circulating flow) out the Cold and Hot supplies
when no water is being drawn. It is a small energy-saver/.

Why do you need a ball valve? Wouldn't a simple U bend do
the trick?

These are actually easier to install:
http://www.perfectioncorp.com/water/heattrap.html
since they go straight in-line from the heater threaded bosses.

Jim

I was wondering the same thing. If these things are ball valves,
where does excessive pressure go in the tank when the water heats? I
have those on my own water heater, but it has never tripped the
pressure release valve, so I dont worry about it. The only thing I
could figure is that they release the pressure at a certain point ????

Mark

Yes. The tiny ball will lift open with very little pressure;
there is just enough force holding them closed to prevent
the thermal siphoning.

Jim