Joshua Putnam

In article , lid
says...
LinuxSaves wrote in news:OlRrd.10832$NU3.9924
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The suggestions so far have included CLR, SoftScrub, and Scotchbright
pads. Can I be reasonably sure that none of these will damage the
ceramic? Unlike a bathtub, which I'm sure any of these products would
be fine on, the toilet lid has a very glossy finish and I'm concerned
that it may get damaged if the cleaning method is too harsh.

Your local grocery store or home hardware store should have a bottle of
stuff specifically designed to remove rust stains. Look for a cleaner
containing oxalic acid.

I'll second that, and add a caution: your local hardware store will also
have squeeze bottles of hydrofluoric acid for removing rust stains. This
is much more aggressive at removing rust stains, but it can also etch
many glazed surfaces, leaving them dull and in need of constant cleaning.
(Not to mention they're more hazardous to the user.)

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/