crooksie

Default I got a shock, and RCD didn't trip...

"Succorso" wrote in message
Hi,

I was rooting around under the floor yesterday, sorting out some of the
previous owners' disasters in the wiring department. At one point, I
happened to grab a 5A cable, and at the same time touched a 15mm pipe
carrying the mains water, with the back of the same hand. Pooffff... I
ended up the other side of the room with a very wobbly arm!!

Turns out, there was mouse damage on the cable which had exposed live
copper (outer casing and red insulation had been chewed through).

My question is this. Assuming I made a Live - Earth circuit when I
touched the cable and pipe, why didn't the 100MA trip RCD on the
consumer unit trip? Could it be that the earthing is inadequate on the
under-floor copper?

Regards

--
Chris

or maybe the circuit that you came into contact with was not protected by
rcd, i.e. split load consumer unit. with some circuits not protected. also
it is recommended practice to use a 30mA rcd in domestic premises.
bob