HeatMan

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"HeatMan" wrote in message
.. .

"HL" wrote in message
news:tNurd.223772$df2.120623@edtnps89...
Compared to a 20 year old furnace how much does each design

improvement
increase AFUE:

Draft inducer fan
Ignitor vs pilot
Faster fan startup (is this due to the draft inducer)
Hx design chages?
Anything else?

Yes.

The biggest improvement, IMO, is the ignition vs. the standing pilot.

Heatman,

But is it really cheaper to the consumer? I have a 25 year standing pilot
that I have replaced the thermo-couple once. I have a 10 year old 80%

that
I have replaced the igniter on twice. I got off cheap because I know the
part only cost $16. But the average Joe in this part of the country pays
the HVAC man $75 for the part and a service call.

My Carrier POS has been in for 10 plus years and I haven't had to do
anything to it except for filters. What brand is it?

Plus you have to add in the cost of running the inducer fan and that

igniter
uses a good bit of electricity every time it glows. KWH are cheap here

but
what does it cost each time it glows where they cost more?

The efficiency rating is the annual rating. If you blew out your pilot
every year and didn't have to replace it, you'd gain a couple of efficiency
points.

So who is coming out ahead here? Is the consumer really better off all
costs considered?

See my first post.

BTW, that Carrier POS is a 2 pipe, one intake and one exhaust. That may
have something to do with the longevity of the ignitor.