Ken Davey

nceu wrote:
Ken Davey wrote:
asdl wrote:

I need to weld in a chunk of .25" aluminum to repair
the skeg on my outdrive. The skeg and lower unit are one
piece of cast aluminum. It's an older OMC. I will weld
it with a MIG. The remaining piece of the skeg is
a little bent and I need to straighten or cut the
rest off. I would much rather straighten it though.
Can I heat it up and hammer it back?

I would think long and hard before doing this.
The outdrive will function quite happily without the skeg.
Ken.

Yes but you will chew up props if you hit debris.

Agreed but.........
The only time I chewed up a prop was the time I knocked my skeg off (rescue
mission - long story).
Haven't dinged it again. A stainless prop helps - in fact is manditory when
cruising the waters of the north coast.
The AL (pot metal?) props are useless - I had one fold up hitting a rotton 2
X 4.
Regards.
Ken (30 years on the water).

--