SQLit

"JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk" wrote in message
Okay, I'm new to this heat pump stuff,
always lived in the land of the cold where we used gas to make heat!

FIRE!
grunt grunt!!!

so, now I have a nambie pambie heat pump on the house, and today for the
first time or, last night really, it got below freezing,
26 to be precise, well, the heat pump has been running almost

constantly,
and from time to time, the AUX heat has been kicking in too.
is that normal? The air temp outside is 34 right now, and the air comming
out of the vents is 80
About 2 weeks back I had a "disk" replaced, (some type of stat they

said)
temp outside was probably in the 45 -55 range then, but the air comming

out
of the vents was closer to 90,

is this normal??
can the heatpump only give me 80 degrees on days were the temp is at or
below freezing?
the pump is only 5 years old, and at the time the disk was replaced the
pressure was checked and it read high.

thanks for any input

Dave

I challenge the concept of an heat pump where it gets below freezing. Heat
pump reverses the indoor coil and outdoor coil for heating. It is trying to
get heat from the outdoors and put it in the home. Not much latent heat at
26 degrees, so that tells me your aux heat, probably an electric element is
running. Picture a big toaster in the air handler. Lots of them are
installed all over. Gonna cost ya big time if it stays cold like that very
long.
Rest of the operation described seems ok to me.