dlusby22 dlusby22 is offline
Junior Member

Default Briggs and Stratton 5 hp Starter Rewind Problem

My grandfather recently gave me his old Keen Kutter tiller. It has a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton motor on it. It hasn't been ran in about 7 years and after changing the fluids and the plug it pretty much fired right up. The only problem I'm having is that once it starts and the pull cord pulls back in the coil, it kicks it back out and makes an awful noise much like if you try and start your car while it is already running. Does anyone know that cause of this and how I might be able to fix it. I looked briefly at the pull cord and assembly and couldn't figure out how to remove it to work on it. Any help with this would also be great. Thanks for the help.
Dale