Childfree Scott

The biggest improvement, IMO, is the ignition vs. the standing pilot.

So my 60% 20 year old furnace will achieve 80% by eliminating the pilot?

Why doesn't everyone just replace their pilots with an ignition system?

Doesn't quite add-up

I asked the HVAC tech who lives a few houses away about how much it
costs to replace my pilot light with an ignition system. He said that
his company charges $600 to do that. Presumably that's why it doesn't
get done often. He said that they sometimes have to add new boards to
make it work, etc. So I just shut mine off completely during the
summer and parts of the spring and fall. It's easy enoug to re-light
and I think it made a $5/month difference on my gas bill. I was using
less than $5/month for gas all summer long. Not exactly scientific,
but at these gas prices why not shut off the pilot whenever you can.