Pop

I've heard that before but I have a neighbor tried it and all he
got was some soggy oats. He put one at the silo door and another
at the hey mow steps. Only thing it ever caught was an
unsuspecting farmhand going up into the mow. It was cold & he
got rather wet when it tipped over. And mad.

Pop

wrote in message
| Take it from a farmer (me).
| Fill a 5 gal plastic bucket 2/3 full of water. Toss a coupld
handfuls
| of horse feed or plain oats in the water, and let this grain
float on
| top of the water.
| You'll soon have a whole bunch of drowned mice in that pail.
Of
| course if it's cold enough to freeze the water, you have to add
| antifreeze. Be sure it's ethylene glycol (the poisonous type).
That
| just kills them faster. However. do not allow your pets near
that
| antifreeze. Be sure to find the place where they enter and fix
the
| hole, or more will come.
|
| Of course you could give the neighbors cat a vacation in your
attic.
| Just be sure the cat has water and a litterbox, and first
remove any
| mouse or rat poison. The idea is to kill the mice, not the
cat.

| Mark
|

| On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:25:39 GMT, "Good Music"

| wrote:
|
| How do you trap, or even SEE to identify, suspected attic
mice, when you
| hear occasional running and clawing from your ceiling, but
your attic has
| blown-in insulation that looks like this?:
|
| http://home.nc.rr.com/goodmusic/P1010002.JPG
| http://home.nc.rr.com/goodmusic/P1010003.JPG
|
| from just the narrow area in the center of the attic where
there is plywood
| flooring, I tried reaching over into the insulation area with
a broom and
| pushing some back; occasionally saw what looked like they
could possibly be
| mouse-sized hollowed tunnels in the fluffy stuff, but no way I
could see any
| vermin if they were there. Can't easily walk out into that
area since no
| flooring there, can't even see where the 2x4's are.
|
| Is there any solution other than bringing in a crew to suck
out all the
| blown-in insulation, then exterminate any mice, look for &
seal up any holes
| (and cover ventilation holes along the edges with screening),
then blow the
| insulation back in? Don't know that our budget would cover
that right now.
| I heard mice like tunnels. Maybe if I by lengths of say
4-inch diameter PVC
| piping, then nail a mousetrap inside each one baited with
peanut butter,
| then drill a hole through one end of each tunnel to tie a
string to it, then
| for each tunnel, hold one end of the string as I throw the
tunnel out into
| the insulation... then pull the tunnels in by the string
periodically to