Joe Halbleib

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:16:01 GMT, "Joe Halbleib"
wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 03:01:01 GMT, "Joe Halbleib"
wrote:

I'm a moderate and I own 2 revolvers
and 1 45 auto. They have only shot paper at the range. They are

locked
up
in my safe when not in use. I even have trigger locks for them when
transporting to and from the range.

Saner than most you think?
Why not leave them locked up at the range? Can that
be done?

In general, no, that can't be done.

Find a better "range".

I have the ranges I have. Besides, I don't really want to lock my
possessions up at someone else's location. I think ranges generally don't
welcome the liability of storing guns they don't own anyway.

Specifically... these are MY weapons
and remain in MY possession. First of all, they are expensive.

And you cannot trust the gun nuts, right?

I don't trust many people... at least not completely. I'll keep my
belongings at home, thank you.

Second,
they have dual duty, targets and protection.

The .357 is my weapon for home protection. It is loaded at night with

..38
special hollowpoints to minimize overpenetration of criminals and/or

walls
so I reduce the chances of hitting an innocent bystander.

The .45 is a backup.

IF it's locked up & unloaded it's no good for the fast draw.
What's wrong with this picture?

Not locked and unloaded. Locked in a safe and loaded. No trigger locks
inside the safe. 6 digits to unlock the safe. It's double action so just
pull the trigger. The .357 revolver has 3 speed loaders loaded right next
to it. The .45 is loaded with a 10-round mag and 4 more mags next to it.
Not cocked and locked though.

Before the 2 year old came to live with us, I had sometimes left the
revolver on the top of the safe (serves as a nightstand). Another
possibility is leaving the safe door unlocked. The .357 and .45 are just
inside and in reach.

In any case, you are trying the "guns make me safer" argument. See
other posts. Got kids? Thieves that know that you have guns to steal?

Guns do make me safer. I have a 2 year old nephew living with me. Safe
locked. Could be thieves in the neighborhood. I don't advertise that I
have them. No signs on the window saying something like "House protected by
Smith & Wesson" or anything. The next door neighbor and his wife's cousin,
who also lives there, and I share an interest in guns and only they know.
We have a friendship based on mutual respect.

The .22 revolver is just a target weapon for fun and training my wife to

use
the .357.

Don't know if I'm saner or wackier than anyone else.

Joe

--
Cliff

Trusting your wife with a gun?