Ed Huntress

"Strabo" wrote in message
In OT Guns more Guns on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:42:42 -0500, by
Ed Huntress, we read:

"The Watcher" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:41:30 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

wrote:

(snip)
It's not my authority, Watcher.

Well, at least you got that part right.

It's well documented in the law.

OK, which law.

The laws creating the National Guard and the standing army. The last time

an
armed unit was called up from the "unorganized militia," if I recall
correctly, was in 1865.

The "unorganized militia" is now a legal subterfuge to finesse the

Selective
Service. They aren't expected to bring their own guns anymore. g

They're more is use than you think.

A militia is used every time a county sheriff forms a posse.

States can authorize posses, or not, as they choose, Strabo. They can't call
up units of the US Army or Air Force, but they can call any of their
citizens who aren't on active military duty in the federal forces.

It has nothing to do with militias, unless a state wants to call its state
guard, or state militia, into posse duty. There is no federal law preventing
it.

I posted the Posse Comitatus Act for Gunner earlier tonight. You might want
to revisit it.

Ed Huntress

Until the late 1980s, when elements of the federal government
began to be used to villify patriotism, state guards (not the
national guard) and land and naval militias were openly active.

They still are. I believe there are around 20 states with active state
guards. There's a move afoot right now to incorporate them into the Homeland
Security system.

Ed Huntress