Mike Marlow

"Brett A. Thomas" wrote in message
J wrote:
We have disproved the safety part. Now tell me how it is neater. You

still
have a cord going from tool to socket in either case. In the case of
extension cords you can roll them up and put them away if you want to. I

do.
It means the kids can't turn on the machine by accident or even on

purpose.

Well, this is getting into a whole other question, but I'd love feedback
on this. My basic plan has been to run a dedicated set of wiring for
fixed machines (defining "fixed" to include some stuff that's mobile but
plugged in most of the time), and to have panic stops and a lockout box
for those circuits. That'll let me lock down the stationary power tools
when I leave the shop (in case the kids get in) but still have lights
work, batteries charge, etc. Anyone have a good source for those kinds
of electrical supplies (lockout boxes, panic buttons, etc)?

-BAT

Well, the simplest lockout box is your subpanel. Throw the breakers when
you're done for the day and secure the subpanel in any way you're
comfortable with. You should be able to find a number of commercial
electrical supply houses near where you live that would have just about
anything you'd want to put in. You can get really carried away with this
stuff and sometimes you have to step back and say - hey, this is just a
hobby shop - do I really need this or that or the other thing, or is a
simpler method a better approach. Personal preference will prevail.
--

-Mike-