jack

I recently went through one IC with a "Sleep mode" which required an
EXTERNAL PULSE to trigger the sleep mode on/off.

The *BIG* question is: How does "Stand By" become triggered off and on? -
External pulse or through the reciever signal? If through the reciever
signal - all is WAY GOOD , YES. If through some external pulse - then the
"Stand By" mode becomes "senseless" in my mind because one could simply kill
the VCC at that point. Do you know/understand how the "Stand by" mode is
triggered off?

From the description of Pin 28 in the PDF manual it states:
Bias circuitry provides bandgap biasing and circuit
shutdown capabilities. The ENRX (Pin 28) modes are
summarized in Table 2-1. The ENRX pin is a CMOS
compatible input and is internally pulled down to Vss.

TABLE 2-1: BIAS CIRCUITRY CONTROL
ENRX(1) Description
0 Standby mode
1 Receiver enabled
Note 1: ENRX has internal pull-down to Vss

It "appears" (I hope I'm wrong) that an external bias must be applied to Pin
28 to take the IC out of "Sleep mode". In which case - I fail to see its
purpose. I need the IC to be "awaken" via an RF pulse or "trigger freq".

Investigate Microchip

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...PAGE&nodeId=74

about 3/4 the way down the page

Paul