No I'm not winding you up LOL... I was 100% dead serious. I had horrible
sunburn on my face. The rest of my body was covered. Took a few days to go
away. Hurt =(.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:32:20 GMT, vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:56:45 GMT, vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Some other stuff.

Don't breathe the fumes. At least have active ventilation. Even
better, have a fan blowing the stuff well away from you, as soon as
you can after it leaves the weld area without blowing too much on the
actual weld. You should not smell the welding process.....ever.

Darn... I like the smell.. LOL. I'll take a fan with me next time.

Unfortunately some the smells are quite pleasant. I knew one guy who
loved the smell of polyester resin! He worked with it quite a bit and
would live in the fumes. He wheezed a lot.

Wear overall clothing. Welding is baaaad sunburn. Can cause cancer.

NO KIDDING!! I got WICKED sunburn on my face the first time! WHEW!!

That's
right... I was so idiotic that I welded w/out any eye protection or face
protection. I was a jackass. I have a welding helmet now & it made the
welding process 10x easier... given I can SEE what i'm doing now .

Sorry. Are you winding me up? If I was stating the bleeding obvious
then sorry. But you see some amazing stuff.

The thing is the helmet is the obvious part. But I know a guy who gave
himself a lovely "all over in places where it hurts by crouching in
shorts to weld.

When brushing and grinding, at _least_ wear a paper/cloth face mask.
They are not worth much, but are better than nada.

Agreed. I have several paper masks in the storage unit outside.

Wear ear protection, especially when using power tools.

Ear protection? Didn't think about that. You mean like ear plugs? Or

what?
Specify please =).

I will assume you are _not_ winding me up.

Good muffs if you can. Plugs otherwise. Muffs get in the way a lot.
Plugs can give you earwax problems.

Hammering, welding, grinding, sanding, sawing, dropping a piece of
steel on the ground, all make noise.

I walk around with cicadas for company these days.

Wear clear saffety glasses or a face plate at all times, unless you
have the welding helmet on.

Got a welding helmet & love it.

OK. Do you wear it while wire brushing or grinding/sawing?

One day, just try a wire feed welder for a while (wicked grin)

Oh boy I'd love to =). Before I do that, I'll probably end up taking the
welding course over at my local university.

Well if you reckon I'm a stickly old PITA, wait til you meet the
teachers!