Speedy Jim

Jmagerl wrote:
Good points. So... since I am on a well the pressure tank will accept the
expansion. Differenrt question: I was in the store the other day looking at
replacing my brothers hot water heater. In the replacement kits, there were
things called "heat traps". THey screwed into the inlet and outlet of the
water heater. What are these? and do they in any way make me need an
expansion tank? (I don't have them on my heater). I'm expecting my heater to
go soon (20+ years old)

Heat traps are small ball check valves. They prevent hot water
"migration" (small circulating flow) out the Cold and Hot supplies
when no water is being drawn. It is a small energy-saver/.
Chances are you won't need an exp tank on your well; wait and see.

Jim

"Jmagerl" wrote in message

In the five homes I've owned over the last 30 years, I have never had an
expansion tank on the hot water heater. My daughter just bought a home
(new construction) and it has one. Did something change? Do I really need
one? It seems to me that any expansion of the water in the tank would just
be pushed out the cold water inlet and pressure wouldn't increase. What am
I missing?