Larry Jaques

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:06:31 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC
spake the words:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

The kid would need a flattener for waterstones anyway.

Yabut that really blows the budget to hell. Those EZELAPs and DMTs are
2x to 3x the cost of a combo stone...

Right, but he won't have to replace it every 2-3 years.
Try the HF diamond plates for a closer-to-budget item.
I've known a couple people who had the smaller ones and
they seemed to hold up fairly well. I haven't used one.

pitchHe's a good kid. Well on his way to Eagle Scout, does the
Catholic church things, hiked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim this
September... How's about you guys send a buck or two to the Nephew
Sharpening Stone Fund and I'll buy him the diamond stones./pitch

Hah! $13, sucha deal! I have 2x6ers and they work just fine.
These aren't as fine, but they'd work quickly to take out nicks.
Scary(tm) it to final grit. Suggestion: Make a box for him in which
to store his sharpening gear. Then it won't get lost. Or suggest it
for him to do as a first project.

I guess I'll lean toward the Norton oil stone that has served me well
for years now. I'll also see if I can find a light oil that's not as
smelly as kero.

Yuck x2. I always shied away from sharpening as a kid because of
the oily, sticky mess it was. If ScarySharp(tm) had existed back
then, I'd have learned a LOT earlier.

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online