jim rozen

In article , PeterM says...

Many many thanks to both of you fine gentlemen for taking the time to give
me such generous information. I appreciate you both very much. My grandson
wants to start playing with something like this.This machine was very
inexpensive, but has a lot of extra stuff that looks nice, except for the
light rust. My grandson is only 12 years old, so maybe he will make a good
machinist one of those days. He builds all sorts of things, and this will
get him a little further then what he got now. Have a wonderful Christmas,
can you still say that?...............Peter

You have been given good advice - and for a unimat it's probably just
fine. But if you wanted to remove as little of the good metal as
possible, and preserve as much of the character of the machine as
you could, I would suggest going the extra step to de-rust it
electrolytically. This means getting some washing soda, and a small
power supply.

Folks here can no doubt point you to a good description of the
process - it works quite well.

Jim

please reply to: