Charlie Self

T asks:

I want to get a laser cutting guide for my Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter
saw - I've seen a couple different brands on the net, one from Rockler's
(Avenger) for $57.99 and another from SevenCorners.com (bladepoint) for
$59.88. They both say easy to install. Is there any great difference in
brands, quality? Are there any safety issues involved?

I saw my first laser guide in person a couple weeks ago, a friend of mine
had one on a jobsite on a Hitachi miter saw (it came built into the saw) and
I thought it was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I don't have any depth
perception and I'm always doing the squat,
lower-the-blade-and-look-where-it's-going-to-cut thing, and this seems like
a tremedous time (and knee) saver. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

They are, but...

In my opinion, the arbor mounted laser units are not very good. They work on
only one side of the blade, for a start, and I always seem to be making cuts on
both sides of the blade. For another, you've got to have the saw running and
partially down to make a check on where the cut will be, if for no other reason
than the fact that the bottom guard blocks the beam. Some saws have slotted
guards, but still don't project a beam until the saw is on (aftermarket models
may differ. I haven't tried any of those).

Accuracy is iffy in the ones I've seen.

For good laser marking on compound miter saws, the laser needs to be a designed
in part of the saw. So far, the Porter-Cable and Delta models with dual line
lasers are about it. And the 12" non-sliders are IT there, at something like
$350, IIRC. They are good packages otherwise, too. The PC and Delta both have
switchable lasers. You turn them on with a rocker switch on top of the handle,
and they project their line down onto the base. Very, very good for line up for
those of us without perfect vision or perfect knees.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken