Norminn

clipped
leave a stain or remove the finish. What I'm seeing is that water
drips down the face of the cabinet then pearls when it gets to the
bottom edge where it hangs. I want to know if what he is telling me
and what I am seeing should be expected? Remember we've only been in
this house for about 2 months and you can already see the finish
starting to go and what really frightens me is that we've got the same
cabinets with the same finish in all of the bathrooms where there is
even more water around.

Thanks.

A custom cabinet guy, 'eh? The finish didn't get washed off, it was
never applied to the bottom of the door. Someone started a rumor that
the tops and bottoms of doors should not be finished, so condensation
runs down, collects at bottom, and wicks into unfinished wood on bottom.
Check out your bathroom door, or the neighbor's.

Poly, paint or varnish are great finishes when they cover the wood. One
coat often does not, and standing moisture will seep into minute
openings on the woodgrain. Latex is my least favorite, especially in a
kitchen. Most varnish will seep into wood grain on the first coat,
leaving minute gaps in the finish that allow moisture to intrude. Read
up on finishes, materials and workmanship before you contract for
multi-thousand dollar work. Talk to different contractor and don't let
one drive a nail without a written bid, license, insurance, and lien
release agreement.