Sunworshipper

On 30 Nov 2004 22:58:26 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[ ... ]

me in the back for it. Someday I'll post pictures of it , need to find
the booklet for my scanner first cause it defaults or something to
TIFF.

If the only thing stopping you from shippin' pix is the fact that your
scanner saves to TIFF by default, all ya gotta do to get a JPEG is this:
1: Scan whatever it is. Let it save it as a TIFF - All those are is raw
image dumps. (Which is why they're so huge)

Yep -- but also why they are the best if you are dealing with
things in B&W line drawings, where the JPEG lossy compression loses
detail, especially where two lines intersect at an acute angle. (Also,
tiny type gets very difficult to read. :-)

2: Crack open your favorite tool that can read TIFF and save JPEG. On a

[ ... Mac & Windows dealt with ... ]

but I've got no doubt whatsoever that there are others. Linux/*nix geeks
- you're on your own - I *KNOW* there's something (more probably,
several somethings) that will do it, but I haven't yet soaked up enough
*nix know-how to name one.

Yep -- several options.

1) xv (an older one, now, and it wants to be shareware instead of
freeware -- but it has the nicest way of browsing a directory
full of images.

2) ImageMagik (a suite of programs including several forms of
image conversion. This is probably the best way to convert
a whole subdirectory full of images, as it can be run from a
shell script without having to pop up a display of each.

3) "The GIMP" (The Gnu Image Manipulation Package). Yes, the
"The" is part of the program title. Probably the closest thing
to PhotoShop, and like PhotoShop, it takes quite a while to
master all (or even a reasonable percentage) of its features.

4) For converting tiff to PDF, it is a two-step operation:

a) tiff2ps (part of the libtiff package) -- converts
TIFF images to PostScript.

b) ps2pdf (part of the GNU Ghostscript package), converts
the PostScript output from the previous program to PDF
files.

I've written a shell script to run these in combination to
convert a ton of page scans into a single document -- or for
some big ones, a PDF file per page, to keep the overall size of
the PDF files down.

And -- there are probably others, as well. These are just the
ones which I know about and use.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I just knew I shouldn't have brought that up. I'm hopelessly lost with
computers. About the only thing I know or knew was how auto cad
calculates the lines on the screen before PC's. I need to find my tax
papers so I'll run into the booklet sooner or later. What really sucks
is that most of the pictures that I've taken in the past where ripped
off. Plus I need to figure out the wife's new digital camera that I'm
restricted from. Her 35mm one was in my truck when it got broken into
so now I can't take the new one anywhere. Kinda like I'm not allowed
to do laundry anymore cause I inadvertently put the mid sized box of
soap into the washer , box also.