Ok, so many people have helped & I am extremely grateful... but I don't feel
like posting to each person individually.. so.. hehe. I just went out &
practiced welding on a more CLEAN surface (will buy a wire brush drill
attachment asap) which happened to be my old catback exhaust (factory)... I
turned it on the highest setting (doesn't say amps, just says 5/64" setting)
and used a 7014 rod--1/16", aka wuss rod--and I did some pretty wicked
welds. Very few times did it stick. I also held it in place in an attempt to
"cut" and I actually did that as well.. was really cool to actually start
seeing improvement from myself & the welder! I owe a BIG thanks to everybody
who responded & gave advice.. thank you all! And yes... this is EXTREMELY
addictive lol!! I have 2 Flowmaster 40 series mufflers ready to be welded in
my car to replace these turbo mufflers (expensive *******s... about as
expensive as new Flowmaster mufflers are--but they sound good too and will
be kept around). It'll be my first real project with the welder. I was going
to just sell this ******* on ebay or something and then get a wire-feed
welder b/c I was getting so frustrated w/ the sticking... but it seems I can
just keep using this since I'm getting better now (thanks to you guys). So,
I am getting better.. I will keep at it.. and I will post progress .. and
thank you all. I appreciate it. Have a great week.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

wrote in message
. com...
I've recently taken up welding just as a hobby... mostly out of

curiousity.
I have a small stick welder... anybody have any tips or advice for using

it?
It constantly sticks to the d*mn project & it's gettin real old real fast.

"strike it like a match" to get it heated up... but maybe I just suck ;D.
Thanks in advance. Also, when I'm trying to weld.. do I hold the rod a

tiny
bit away from the metal? Or press it against the metal?

-Mike