charlie b

Dave Balderstone wrote:

AKA "Brazilian Walnut"...

I picked up a piece to use on a jewelry box I'm making for the daughter
for Christmas. Very interesting figure and a very interesting smell
that has filled the shop. Spicy...

A quick Google search reveals that like most exotics I should wear my
breathing gear, but does anyone have any hints on working this wood?

How does it glue? Finish (I'm planning to use shellac)? Any cautions
beyond not breathing the dust?

The following is from "Wood Identification & Use" by Terry Porter
Guild of Master Craftsman Publications ISBN 1-86108-377-7

"Imbuia Phoebe porosa (Lauraceae)

From Southern Brazil

Hase been compared to American walnut (Juglans nigra)

Works well with both had and machine tools, but the grain
is liable to pick up during planing unless a reduced cutter
angle is used. Wood nails, screws and glues well and it
can be stained and polished to a high finish.

Medium to small movement in service.

The sawdust can be an irritant to te nose, eyes and skin"

charlie b