Wow.. lots of good advice. Sorry for not being specific...

The welder is a cheapie stick welder from wal-mart (please don't make fun
:P--I took it up as a hobby & didn't feel like investing $500). It's a
Campbell Hausfeld brand one. It has 2 settings for power output... 1/16" and
5/64".

The 1/16" is what I've been using lately.. 7014. The 5/64" is what I used at
first and had more trouble with.. 6013.

It plugs into a regular power outlet... so it isn't 220v (or whatever it
was).. 110v I assume? 115v? whatever it is (sorry, I'm dumb).

Umm... dunno what else there is to say about it. I'm not sure if it's AC or
DC.. I'll hafta check on that. I'm gonna go out back & toy around with it
some more & see if I can get the hang of it. Also... the surfaces I was
trying to weld were both pretty dirty.. including rust. I will clean up the
surfaces next time or try a diff. cleaner material. Thanks for the advice...
anything else I should be looking out for?

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

wrote in message
. com...
I've recently taken up welding just as a hobby... mostly out of

curiousity.
I have a small stick welder... anybody have any tips or advice for using

it?
It constantly sticks to the d*mn project & it's gettin real old real fast.

"strike it like a match" to get it heated up... but maybe I just suck ;D.
Thanks in advance. Also, when I'm trying to weld.. do I hold the rod a

tiny
bit away from the metal? Or press it against the metal?

-Mike