RoyJ

Start with some BRAND NEW 3/32" 6013 rod running at around 70 amps.
This rod can be held 1/8" off the base metal or pushed in fairly tight.
Buy a pound at the local home store or welding store. Old rod tends to
be tough to run smoothly.

When you said "small", be advised that the 110 volt cheapy units often
have very low open circuit voltages, can be real ornary to use.

wrote:
I've recently taken up welding just as a hobby... mostly out of curiousity.
I have a small stick welder... anybody have any tips or advice for using it?
It constantly sticks to the d*mn project & it's gettin real old real fast. I
"strike it like a match" to get it heated up... but maybe I just suck ;D.
Thanks in advance. Also, when I'm trying to weld.. do I hold the rod a tiny
bit away from the metal? Or press it against the metal?

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake