Old Nick

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:03:12 GMT, vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

As people have said, talking to someone about welding is like saying
"just stay on top and paddle" to teach someone how to swim! G

As people have also said, your current is too low. This is not just a
matter of settings however.

You may simply be using too thick a stick for your welder. The machine
should have ascale. Or what is your welder?

Make sure that all cables are in good condition and that that they are
firmly connected.

Make sure that the area where you attach your workpiece electrode
(clamp) is clean and free of any oil or rust. This is essential, as
this can stop the current really fast, no matter what your settings on
the machine.

Make sure that the stick clamp is also clean and is grabbing the stick
good and hard. ALso make sure that the electrodes themselves are
clean, where they are grabbed. If they are not, because they were just
handmedowns, then maybe get some more, as the rest of the stick may be
contaminated as well.

Make sure that the power supply to your welder is adequate. Extension
lead in use? Make sure it really really handles the required mains
current to your welder. A good test here is to stick a light globe in
a "double adaptor" right where the welder is plugged in. Watch the
globe while you start a weld, or have someone else do it. If the globe
dulls considerably, then your mains power setup is inadequate.

It also helps if the weld area is clean. Stick welders are pretty good
at this, but rust can cause temporary loss of arc, and subsequent
sticking, as you try to restart or the cooling stick touches the work
on a spot that is not quite enough to rearc.

If the welder is old, it may be faulty. This is unusual with old stick
welders. There's not much in there. But real mistreatment can cause
trouble. I had one that had a loose current controller. I would set a
current and it would creep down as the box of the welder buzzed.

The whole idea of welding is that the losses (work and heat) are as
much as possible right between the stick and the work, in that little
bit that needs sticking. The rest of the system needs to behave very
consistently and lose as little as possible.

As for welding, you need to keep the stick the right distance from the
wrok. It's damn close, but not touching. Too far and you either cool,
bend or lose the arc. Too close and you rush the job and maybe get
sticking. You pretty much touch, as the stick is completely
disappearing as you work, of course.

Start with thicker steel. Say 3/16" and up. It's a lot easier than
thinner steel while you get that first "feel" for the welder. I found
that I welded a little "hotter" than the box said. But this may well
have been because of one or all of the above faults in the setup.

You need to know the machine, the conditions and thwe work. You then
need to learn what to do if certain things go wrong, and then how to
weld if you cannot _fix_ those wrong things, if for instance you were
working on a site, that unlike yours, has good power, etc G

I've recently taken up welding just as a hobby... mostly out of curiousity.
I have a small stick welder... anybody have any tips or advice for using it?
It constantly sticks to the d*mn project & it's gettin real old real fast. I
"strike it like a match" to get it heated up... but maybe I just suck ;D.
Thanks in advance. Also, when I'm trying to weld.. do I hold the rod a tiny
bit away from the metal? Or press it against the metal?

-Mike