Josh

"JerryMouse" wrote

You force him to pay in court.

It's not a law - it's a concept, part of the Common Law dating back to

1216.

The principle in contract law is called "Unjust Enrichment" coupled with

the
concept of "Acceptance by Silence."

If someone does something that benefits you, you have an affirmative duty

demurr at the very instant you perceive of the other's action. Failure to

do
so implies consent and a binding contract is entered.

If your neighbor cuts your lawn while you watch, you owe him the fair

value
of his services. To put it in plain, contract, terms: 1) He offered a
benefit, 2) By your silence, you agree to the terms of his offer.

Ownership of the fence has nothing to do with the derived benefits.

So this winter when I'm out snowblowing the half dozen driveways for the
elderly people in my neighborhood. I can turn around and haul their asses
into court? Yea, I'll explain that to the judge that you said so.

I wouldn't think about trying to collect, just showing how ridiculous it
would be. Do you really believe someone could create their own income by
going around and start working? I don't think so.