SawDust

Honest assessment. I bought a cheap router. It did the job for me.
But a Porter Cable with fixed and plunge base, runs $350 in my part of
the world. The Ryobi is $150.

If I could have bought a PC for $200 I would have bought it. PC is
quality. Pay the little extra and buy a router with a good name,
which you can get support and accessories for.

For example. Higher end routers usually have micro height adjustment.
One PC router that I looked at could be dialed in to 1/128th of an
inch. The ryobi and other less expensive routers won't have that
feature.

A guide fence with a micro adjustment feature would be nice too. You
can get them for the higher end routers. It won't fit mine and I
doubt you will find one for the Ryobi - but I could be wrong.

To put it simply. The extra $50 will pay off in the end.

Just my opinion..

Pat

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:51:04 GMT, "cyrille de brébisson"
wrote:

Hello,

I am a sunday woodworker and own an OK set of tools (according to my
standard/useage at least).
I want to buy a new router (my $5 ebay one having given the genie out) and I
was looking at the Ryobi RE1803BK and the porter cable 694VK.

the Ryoby is cheaper ($150), 2HP, comes with a plunge base, a d handle base
and a fixed base (will be used to create a table).

the porter cable is smaler in size more expensive (200), 1.75 HP and comes
with the fixed and plunge base too.

What do you think is the best? is it worth the price difference?

thanks, cyrille